free hit counter code suck it trebek: me and my lists

suck it trebek

alex trebek is a horrible, horrible man. he's an apparent misogynist who thinks he knows everything. we don't think you do, alex. but we still love the Jeopardy! ...and other things too.

Friday, January 12, 2007

me and my lists

here's a little something to think about. the "unfilmables": a list of the hardest novels to film.

i, like many people, generally have issues with novels turned into movies, with the exception of wonder boys (even though there were a lot of differences in novel vs. film, the movie still had the same feelings, and i didn't sense that anything was "lost in translation"). as a rule i don't really look forward to seeing a book i love (or even like a lot) translated to the big screen because of the inevitable disappointment, but rarely have i thought about the aspect of is it possible to film the novel at all? a lot of times i "see" novels in my head when i read them so it's not as though it's impossible for novels to be visually represented, but i'm wondering, what novels, if any, would you guys add to this list (if you even agree with it)? is it a matter of couldn't or shouldn't?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard to say now with movies being made from nonfiction like Fast Food Nation and the Tipping Point. They'll make anything into a movie. Although I'd like to see the Bell Jar done. That and more Augusten Burroughs.

3:49 PM  
Blogger bill h said...

I think the opposite question is also interesting. Are there books that work better on film. I think Dr. zhivago is one. I found the book difficult to read, but loved the film. It worked better visually, I thought. As to a book I loved, that I thought worked well, was Simon Burch, for Prayer for Owen Meany, a book I didn't think would work well although they made substantial changes. Now, when is someone going to make Confederacy of Dunces?

9:01 AM  
Blogger jen said...

i still havent read a confederacy of dunces even though i bought it about a year ago. it's on my super long list of to-reads. along with the suggestions you guys gave a while back.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Sophie said...

The most interesting adaptation had to be Adaptation, which was based on The Orchid Thief.
I read Sideways after seeing and loving the movie. The book was horribly written, the movie was much better. If I'm not mistaken, the book was published after the movie was a success. I can see why.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home